2hon MSNOpinion
Thousands were killed in 7.7 magnitude earthquake. Yet military generals were slow to agree to pause in civil war fighting, and continued airstrikes.
Myanmar’s ruling military has declared a temporary ceasefire in the country’s civil war to facilitate relief efforts after a 7.7 magnitude earthquake, which has killed over 3,000 people.
Myanmar's ruling military has declared a three-week ceasefire in its operations against armed rebels. This comes in the wake of the devastating 7.7-magnitude earthquake on Friday. How significant is this temporary ceasefire and could it pave the way for a more permanent truce?
Myanmar junta declares three-week ceasefire after firing on Chinese earthquake aid convoy - Military says it will continue to take ‘necessary countermeasures’ if attacked
Temporary ceasefires announced by warring groups in Myanmar in the wake of last week’s devastating 7.7 magnitude earthquake represent a rare de-escalation of a conflict that since 2021 has taken thous
BANGKOK (AP) — The death toll from the earthquake that hit Myanmar nearly a week ago rose Thursday to 3,145 as search and rescue teams found more bodies, the military-led government said, and humanitarian aid groups scrambled to provide survivors medical care and shelter.
Explore more
A major rebel alliance in Myanmar on Tuesday declared a unilateral ceasefire in its conflict with the ruling military to support an international humanitarian response to last week's devastating earthquake.
The announcement of a ceasefire came late Wednesday during a broadcast on state television, MRTV. The military declared that the halt in combat would last until April 22, demonstrating compassion towards those impacted by Friday's earthquake.
Myanmar's military rulers have kept journalists out since the devastating earthquake, so CBS News' partners at the BBC went undercover to reveal the scale of the disaster.