Rafah, Israel and Gaza
Digest more
Top News
Overview
Impacts
USA TODAY |
Hundreds of thousands of fleeing Gazans sought shelter on Thursday in one of the biggest mass displacements of the war, as Israeli forces advanced into the ruins of the city of Rafah, part of a newly...
The New York Times |
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced on Wednesday that Israel is seizing territory in the Gaza Strip hours after his government laid out plans to take over large parts of the enclave.
The New York Times |
The Israeli defense minister, Israel Katz, said the military was seizing swaths of territory to protect its forces and border towns, suggesting a longer-term presence in the enclave.
Read more on News Digest
Israeli forces have moved into Rafah, creating a new security zone in Gaza, while simultaneously launching airstrikes in Syria and facing potential confrontation with Turkey over its military presence there,
The Israeli military issued evacuation orders on Monday for most of Rafah and suggested it may soon launch another ground operation in the city.
Aid agencies say the workers were killed and buried in a mass grave in Rafah, in southern Gaza. Residents described being shot at along the evacuation route.
Israeli forces issued a new evacuation order for Rafah, Gaza's southernmost city. An NBC News crew spoke with people fleeing toward the Muwasi tent camp in Khan Younis.
It is the biggest such order since Israel resumed its offensive in the Palestinian territory earlier this month.
Explore more
IDF chief vows that 'the only thing that can stop us from advancing is the release of our hostages,' as troops launch new offensive, accompanied by heavy airstrikes
Anwar’s body was found buried in the sand a few days later. This was the first sign of evidence that the Israeli army had targeted Civil Defense and PRCS crews in Rafah, a Civil Defense spokesperson told Mondoweiss.
Palestinians displaced from Rafah on Thursday voiced their despair over Israel's announcement that it would cut the city off from the rest of the Strip, by establishing a new security corridor to pressure Hamas.
Civil Defense retrieves bodies of 8 medics, 5 civil defense workers, UN staff member from Rafah after Israeli bombardment - Anadolu Ajansı